The Secret Service will give agent protection to Ben Carson and Donald, a Washington source close to the agency’s plans confirmed to Newsmax.
The deployment of agents around Republican candidates Trump and Carson is set to begin as early as next week.
The agency’s decision was primarily triggered by a significant number of threats to Carson, including death threats and terrorist chatter, the source said. The threats to the retired pediatric neurosurgeon have been “off the charts,” the source said.
Newsmax has learned that the Secret Service and other federal agencies, including the FBI, became increasingly alarmed in recent weeks as their own monitoring activities indicated that Carson faced serious danger.
The source said there was evidence that home-grown terrorists might be targeting a major political candidate like Carson.
Both Carson and his campaign strongly resisted the Secret Service’s request at first, the source said. But then Carson reluctantly agreed to the deployment of agents after the agency warned of grave danger and shared certain intelligence.
In July, shortly after Trump criticized the Mexican government for the escape of drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman from a maximum-security prison, a Twitter account linked to Guzman issued a threat against the billionaire: “Keep f–king around and I’m gonna make you swallow your whore words you f–king whitey milks–tter.”
Earlier this month Telesur, a Latin American television network based in Venezuela, reported uncorroborated claims that El Chapo has placed a $100 million bounty on Trump to encourage his assassination.
Eric Trump, one of the candidate’s three sons, also expressed concerns about his father’s safety on the campaign trail. Trump has five children. “My father’s my best friend,” Eric Trump told Fox News on Friday. “He’s my idol. He’s my boss.
“We work side by side. We spend every weekend together,” he added. “He’s really my best friend in the world.”