Five More Terrorist Prisoners Released From Gitmo – Four From Yemen

Five More Terrorist Prisoners Released From Gitmo – Four From Yemen

While the public’s attention was focused on Obama’s illegal use of an Executive Order to grant temporary amnesty to at least five million people, five terrorist prisoners were released from Gitmo.

They are being transported to a detention facility in Georgia and Slovakia according to the U.S. Department of Defense.

According to the Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, this was done “In accordance with statutory requirements.”

Since 2010, there has been a 58 percent increase in the number of jihadist groups, a doubling of jihadist fighters and a tripling of attacks by Al Qaeda affiliates. The most significant threat to the United States, the report concludes, comes from terrorist groups operating in Yemen, Syria, Afghanistan and Pakistan.


The release of prisoners Hashim Bin Ali Bin Amor Sliti according to a document available from WikiLeaks, “if this prisoner is released without rehabilitation, he will immediately seek out prior associates and reengage in extremist activities.”  Rehabilitation?

GITMO 1

Husayn Salim Muhammad Al-Mutari Yafai,

GITMO 2

Salah Mohammed Salih Al-Dhabi,

GITMO 4

Abdel Ghaib Ahmad Hakim and Abdul Khaled Al-Baydani round out the contingent in this latest prisoner release.

There are currently 143 detainees that remain at the Guantanamo Bay prison, according to the and the process seems to be release rather than trials.

Closing the controversial prison camp in Guantanamo Bay was Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign promise. According to a Gallup poll, 66 percent of US citizens still oppose the closure.  Again, President Obama is tone deaf to the American public.



WASHINGTON—The U.S. transferred five detainees from the prison at Guantanamo Bay—including four men from Yemen, the first Yemeni detainees transferred since 2010, defense officials said Thursday.

Three Yemeni men were transferred to Georgia and one was transferred to Slovakia. In addition a Tunisian man was transferred to Slovakia.

The U.S. banned transfers of Yemeni detainees to Yemen after Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab , a Nigerian man, attempted to blow up an airliner on Christmas Day 2009 with an underwear bomb made by a Yemen-based terror group.

Yemeni detainees are the largest group in Guantanamo, and transferring those detainees from the prison remains an obstacle to closing it, according to human rights advocates.

There now are 143 men held at Guantanamo, including 84 Yemen nationals, according to the Pentagon. Of the Yemenis held at the prison, 54 are eligible to be transferred from Guantanamo and have been cleared for release, the Pentagon said.

“The elephant in the room is Yemen, what do you do with the Yemenis?” said Wells Dixon, a senior attorney at the Center for Constitutional Rights, which represented one of the Yemeni detainees released from Guantanamo. “Until that problem is solved, Guantanamo can’t be solved. Hopefully this is the start of more transfers either to Yemen or to other countries.”

Both Georgia and Slovakia previously have accepted released Guantanamo detainees. Georgia accepted three detainees in 2010. Slovakia took three in 2010 and three more in 2013.

“We are very grateful to our partners for these generous humanitarian gestures,” said Clifford Sloan, the State Department special envoy for Guantanamo closure. “We appreciate the strong support we are receiving from our friends and allies around the globe.”

Lt. Col. Myles B. Caggins, a Pentagon spokesman, said the Defense Department wouldn’t discuss any commitments by the two countries to monitor the activities of the former detainees.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/guantanamo-transfers-first-yemeni-detainees-since-2010-1416527191

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *